Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Them eggs'll kill you, man


Since I only eat about 7 or 8 eggs a year, I guess I don't have to worry 'bout this:

"Middle-aged men who ate seven or more eggs a week had a higher risk of earlier death, U.S. researchers reported on Wednesday.

"Men with diabetes who ate any eggs at all raised their risk of death during a 20-year period studied, according to the study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

"The study adds to an ever-growing body of evidence, much of it contradictory, about how safe eggs are to eat. It did not examine what about the eggs might affect the risk of death.

"Men without diabetes could eat up to six eggs a week with no extra risk of death, Dr. Luc Djousse and Dr. J. Michael Gaziano of Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School found.

"'Whereas egg consumption of up to six eggs a week was not associated with the risk of all-cause mortality, consumption of (seven or more) eggs a week was associated with a 23 percent greater risk of death,' they wrote."

1 comment:

Mister Jimmy said...

I probably don't eat that many. But brother, a couple of eggs fried in butter over easy, with pan fried toast, jam, grits and coffee is just about the best dang b'fast there is. When I was a kid, sometimes my mother - to entertain me while my older brothers were at school - would dig a hole in the back yard, build a fire and cook up the above breakfast in a cast iron skillet. And it was real butter big daddy!
"Now that's adventure eatin'!"