Saturday, April 26, 2008

Get the matzo ball rollin'

A few weeks back, I wanted me some grilled boneless chicken breasts for dinner. I bought bone-in chicken breasts at the grocery store ('cause they're cheaper) and I removed the bones myself. I used the bones to make some chicken stock, which I froze.

[Sidebar: Makin' chicken stock is easy. Throw some chicken bones, several carrots, a quartered onion, two or three stalks of celery (with leaves), and several whole cloves of garlic into a pot. Cover the chicken bones and vegetables with water (2-3 quarts) and season with salt and pepper. Bring it to a boil and simmer for an hour. Freeze it whole for a future soup, or divide it into one-cup portions for recipes that call for small doses, if you will, of chicken stock.]

While I was running errands early this afternoon, I had a sudden hankering for matzo ball soup. "I haven't had matzo ball soup in quite some time," I says to myself. "A big bowl of soup would make for a tasty dinner ce soir."

I started thawing my chicken stock as soon as I got in the house. With a little help from the microwave, it was ready for cookin' by 6:00. I put the stock in a pot on the stove and started simmering it on the stove. I put five matzo balls in the soup, seasoned it up with a few pinches of salt and pepper, and I let it simmer for about 25 minutes. This is what I got:


Matzo ball soup ain't much to look at, but it sure is good to eat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Noshville has good matzo ball soup. A bit pricey but good.

michael, claudia and sierra said...

last time had the matzoh ball soup at nashville the salt level was out of whack.

anyway - i love that you make this. you absolutely crack me the hell up... even if you refuse to acknowledge my existance...