Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Have it "Your" way


Go back to the very first A Man's Gotta Eat post and you'll see a list of my all-time favorite restaurants in Nashville and parts beyond. One of the restaurants on that list is a little Asian restaurant called Your Choice in Antioch. (Your Choice is so named because patrons can choose between Thai, Laotian, or Chinese dishes.)

Your Choice made its way onto my all-time favorite list for one primary reason: they serve the best hot and sour soup I've ever put in my mouth. I've eaten a lot of hot and sour soup in my day - some was more hot, and some was more sour - but none of it was as fine-tastin' as Your Choice's soup.

With all that said, I'll tell you about my most recent meal at Your Choice, a meal that didn't include hot and sour soup ...

Last week, some co-workers and I went to Your Choice for lunch. I went with the full intention of ordering me some hot and sour soup as an appetizer. Hell, I was even singing the praises of said soup in the car in which a couple of my work buds and drove to the freakin' restaurant. When I got there, however, I decided to go with a soup entree, and the hot and sour soup idea went out the window. (I tried to think of a good food metaphor, but, alas, I failed.)

As many times as I'd eaten at Your Choice - a good two dozen times - I had never had their phở. "What's phở?" you ask? From Wikipedia:

"Phở? (pronounced 'fuh') is a traditional Vietnamese noodle soup dish. ...

"Phở? is served as a bowl of white rice noodles in clear beef broth, with thin cuts of beef."

Your Choice's phở was good eatin', but it wasn't great eatin'. It didn't have a lot of meat in it, for one, and the rice noodles were a bit on the skinny side. The basil-infused broth was hearty and all, but the whole time I was eating my bowl of phở I kept saying, "This needs something." It needed something, indeed.

Next time I go to Your Choice, I will eat me some hot and sour soup (before I eat one of Your Choice's so-very-tasty Lao or Thai rice/noodles and pork/beef/seafood dishes). And the next time I want phở, I'll go to King Market.

So there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the area where your choice is has about a dozen good restaurants. all of them ethnic and all of them good. you are lucky to be able to eat in that area because most of us would be as big as a house if we could eat there

Anonymous said...

THere is a Thai restaurant in the Kroger shopping center in Hermitage that is really good. I can't remember the name but it is really good.

Joey said...

the thai restaurant candy fan is referring to is royal thai; they are a local chain with several locations in/around nashville.