Thursday, June 05, 2008

Con-dee-ments!


I can certainly relate to this story (I'm pretty sure my bon ami Mr. Jimmy can, too):

"I collect condiments the way other people collect rare books or unusual stamps. I'm always on the lookout for interesting mustards, regional mayonnaise (the trip out to Lancaster County a few weeks ago introduced me to Duke's), funky hot sauces or ethnic flavor enhancers (that bottle of Kecap Manis is an Indonesian condiment I fell in love with the summer I spent in that country. Dark, sticky and sweet, it has no relation to ketchup and is amazing with chicken and rice).

"The problem with my condiment collection is that I'm also something of a hoarder. The condiments come in, but rarely do they go out again. I dole them out, horrified at the idea of using the more exotic ones up, because what if I can't find them again?"

My kitchen is full of mustards and hot sauces that I've collected during my travels. I don't have anything from as far away as Indonesia, but I did pick up an incredible Mexican hot sauce in Belize a few years back from which I will not eat more than three drops at a time. Because, like Ms. McClellan asks: What if I can't ever find it again?

Oh, did you notice the shout-out to Duke's mayonnaise? I'm tellin' you ... it's the best damn mayo in the whole U.S. of A.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a bottle of olive oil in Spain that I don't know what I will do when its all gone.

Mister Jimmy said...

I relate to the hoarding, though I have no exotic condiments. In my case I simply don't seem to be able to toss the bottles, even when it's reasonably certain they are empty. There's always a chance . . .

Anonymous said...

I looked for Dukes at Kroger and they did not have it. Where do you get it?

Mister Jimmy said...

Kroger in Green Hills carries it, as does the Harris Teeter on 21st. I've bought it both places, in fact picked up a jar at Kroger in GH a couple of days ago. Sometimes the Harris Teeter carries the smaller pint-size jars in case you want to test the waters so to speak.

Joltin' Django said...

Duke's is also available at most Publix stores and at every Food Lion in which I've ever shopped. In fact, Food Lion had a buy-one-get-one-free special on Duke's last month. Don't think that I DIDN'T stock up!