Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sloppy Joe ... Slop, Sloppy Joe


During a recent conversation with my ami Josh, I happened to mention that Sloppy Joe sandwiches were a once-a-week feature at the family dinner table when I was a kid.

I told Josh that I had not had a Sloppy Joe in years; and I also told him that I probably wouldn't be eating a Sloppy Joe in the near future 'cause ... this was my exact quote: "There's just something wrong with browning quality ground beef and sullying it with a can of sodium-sauce."

Well, it ain't gonna be too long before I have me a Sloppy Joe sandwich. I just got me a recipe for Sloppy Joes from my buddy Josh, which he says comes courtesy of his grandma. (He also says his grandma's Sloppy Joes are - his words - better than chocolate.)

It'll be this weekend, at the earliest, before I get a chance to try my bud's Sloppy Joe recipe. Rest assured, I'll give you a heads-up on this thang when I cook it:

Josh's Grandma's Sloppy Joes

Ingredients

1 pound ground beef
1 small white onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Hamburger buns, split and toasted

Directions

In a large skillet, brown meat over medium heat. Drain.

Return meat to skillet. Add onion and bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 3-4 minutes.

Stir tomato sauce, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce into beef mixture in skillet. Lower heat and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper, as desired.

Spoon onto buns and serve immediately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As much as I like you Django, when you quote Adam Sandler I have to qeustion your taste!!! Just kidding!!!