Monday, June 09, 2008

I'm coo-coo for burgoo


One of the best dang restaurants on the entire planet is Moonlite Bar-B-Q in Owensboro, Kentucky. The specialty at Moonlite is burgoo stew. What's burgoo, you ask? I'll let the folks at Slashfood tell you 'bout it:

"Burgoo is a traditional Kentucky stew of multiple meats (at least three) and a bounty of veggies simmered down for hours until they break down to a uniform consistency. The standard sentiment is that if you can still make out an okra pod or slice of carrot, keep cooking 'cause it ain't burgoo yet -- but as the dish is usually made in such massive quantities (we're talking GALLONS), most regular utensils will just sink down into the mire. So - what's a burgoo chef to do? Well, many Kentucky restaurants rely on 2x4 studs, and folks at community cookouts and church festivals often use rakes to stir the stuff while perched above on chairs as they tend giant pots set over open wood fires. The flavor and texture are said to be reminiscent of mulligan stew, and my North Carolina born husband swears it's a kissing cousin to Brunswick stew, but the guests at our yearly Kentucky Derby soiree have taken to calling it 'The Liquid Meat.' That is, when their mouths aren't crammed full of the 'goo."

Read the rest here.

UPDATE: Tennessee Crossroads -- my very favorite in-production television program -- did a story on Moonlite Bar-B-Q a few months back. Check it out here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like my grandmother's beef stew

Anonymous said...

When I went to Western KY U there was a place near campus that sold burgoo and it was pretty cheap. I bet I had ate 100 gallons of it by the time I graduated