Saturday, June 14, 2008

Lovin' Loretta's chicken 'n' dumplins


One of my all time favorite meals is chicken and dumplins. And by dumplins I mean strip dumplins cooked in chicken broth (like my Granny Ruby used to make), not Bisquick biscuits cooked in cream of mushroom soup.

Earlier today, I was given a copy of Loretta Lynn's You're Cookin' It Country cookbook. I flipped through the book and landed on Loretta's recipe for chicken and dumplins. I told the gift-giver, "I can tell you what's gonna be on the menu at Chez Allison tonight: chicken and dumplins. 'Bout ten minutes later I headed out to my local grocery to pick up a big frying hen.

I was very pleased with how my chicken and dumplins turned out (even though I did forget to stir in the cream). I'm already lookin' forward to eating the leftovers tomorrow night!

Loretta Lynn's Chicken & Dumplins

Ingredients

1 large fat hen
3 garlic cloves, crushed
Salt and pepper

3 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1 egg, beaten
6 to 8 cups chicken broth
One-half cup cream

Directions

In a large pot simmer the hen with the garlic in water for two hours. Add additional water as needed.

Drain the hen, reserving the broth.

Cut into pieces and discard the bones.

For the dumplings, in a large bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Gradually add the water. Stir in the egg.

Knead the dough thoroughly and roll out onto a floured surface. Cut the dough into strips.

Bring the chicken broth to a boil and drop the dough into the boiling broth.
Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Add the cream and chicken pieces and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes longer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jack White drove to Loretta's on a lark and she made chicken and dumplings for him.

Anonymous said...

jack and meg white went to loretta lynn's house on a side trip and were let in when she was home.she fed them and let them sleep there and that began his friendship with the queen of country music.