Friday, June 20, 2008

Twern't a bad casserole

My mother cooked a casserole tonight from a recipe that she received from a neighbor. It didn't look like much, but boy was it good. (I just wish I'd had my camera with me to take a picture.)

The recipe card my mom received said "Fireman's Casserole." Neither she nor I could figure out what the casserole had to do with fire-fighting; so when I copied the recipe, I called it "beef and tater tot casserole." Check it out ...

Beef and Tater Tot Casserole

Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 cup chopped white onions
1 egg
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can RO*TEL® tomatoes
1 5.5-ounce can green peas
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
3-4 cups frozen tater tots
3 cups mild cheddar cheese
Fresh ground pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix ground beef, egg, onions, soup, tomatoes, peas bread crumbs, and one cup of cheese in a large mixing bowl. Pour into a deep baking dish and top with black pepper to taste.

Evenly spread tater tots over mixture and cover with aluminum foil. Place in oven and bake 40-45 minutes.

Remove casserole from oven and remove foil. Cover with remaining cheese and place in for an additional 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted.

Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw that and thought it looked familiar. Our church put out a cookbook and there is a recipe in it that is just like that. It leaves out the peas, egg and bread crumbs and has more cheese.