Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mon père ♥ bratwurst

Today is my Dad's birthday. Last week, my Mom suggested that we should all go out to dinner somewhere, but Pop balked at that idea (he don't like to get out much anymore). Over the weekend, I told him I would cook him something ... anything he wanted. He said okay to that suggestion.

I called my Mom from work today to ask what I needed to pick up on my way home for Pop's birthday dinner. I figured that she'd tell me that I would need to get the necessary stuff to make lasagna, or beef stew, or spaghetti and meat sauce, or meatloaf, or country ribs, or another one of my specialties. I figured wrong.

For his big birthday dinner tonight, Pop requested grilled bratwurst -- grilled Johnsonville bratwurst, of course. I had anticipated spending a couple of hours this afternoon/evening cooking, and all I had to do was throw some brats on my gas grill, fry some onions, and toast some deli rolls (my Mom made some coleslaw and bought a big-ass bag of Lay's tater chips). Ain't it great to have a Dad who's so easy to please?!

I put some grilled onions, yellow mustard, and Sandwich Pal horseradish sauce on my grilled-brat sammich. Oh, it was gooooood. Check it out:


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't thought about Sandwich Pal horsy sauce since I was in 6th grade. That was good stuff

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a brat and beer in the summer.

Where do you get that horseradish?

Joltin' Django said...

Where do you get that horseradish?

Publix, of course!