Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Go to Stroud's. You'll be glad you did


If I ever find myself in the Twilight Zone having to choose a single meat which I will have to eat for the rest of my life, I will choose pork -- specifically smoked pork shoulder, aka barbeque.  I would dare say that there are at least two dozen people currently walking this earth who've heard me say, "If I could eat BBQ every day, I would be the happiest SOB in history when I die," collectively, 'bout a million times.  And that ain't no exaggeration.
 
I get plum giddy whenever I see a new BBQ joint opening.  Right after Christmas last year , I spied a "Coming Soon: Stroud's Barbeque" sign on a little brick building just off I-24 in LaVergne.  I didn't know a damn thing about Stroud's when I spied the sign, but I said to myself when I seen it, "A non-Whitt's BBQ restaurant close to my home?  I will be eatin' there when it opens!" I did eat at Stroud's just after it opened in March, and, unfortunately, I wasn't real impressed.
 
One of the reasons that I hate the above-mentioned Whitt's is that it is too dry. I can't prove it, but I suspect that the reason the meat's dry is because too much fat is removed from the pork shoulders from whence it comes prior to being smoked. The very first time I swallowed a bite of 'que Stroud's, I thought, "This is just like Whitt's! No fat, and no juice!" And I vowed never to go back.

Well, so much for vows. I had to go to a wedding on Saturday, and the individuals with whom I attended said wedding - mes parents - simply insisted that we stop at Stroud's after the ceremony. My parents ordered up a pound of 'que, and I got me a pulled-pork sandwich. (I wasn't about to turn down free food when offered).

I didn't unwrap my sandwich until I got home ... 'bout two hours later. After I unwrapped it and put it on a plate, I lifted the bun and gave the meat a good stare. Not only was the meat glistening with juice, I could see little bits of smoked skin in it -- neither of which I noticed the first time I ate at Stroud's.


After I'd applied a good dose of Stroud's hot BBQ sauce to my sandwich, I grabbed it with my both hands and took a bite. This is what I said aloud, to no one in particular: "Man, this is some good barbeque!" And it was good, indeed. The meat was smoky and it was juicy and, by God, I wish I was eatin' some of it right now. I don't have the slightest clue as to what Stroud's did to improve the quality of their pork between my first and latest visit, but whatever they did ... I applaud them for it.

Next time you're craving some good 'que, go to Stroud's. You'll be glad you did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you on Whitts. I think Bar-B-Cutie is pretty good. My aunt always brings it to a Summer fami;ly reunion and it goes quick.

Chris Martin said...

I noticed the other day that the Whitt's on Antioch Pike is hiring. This could be your chance to go in there and teach them a thing or two. I agree Whitt's is too dry.

Joltin' Django said...

"I noticed the other day that the Whitt's on Antioch Pike is hiring."

You were in L.A. (a.k.a. Lower Antioch) and we didn't do lunch?! Sup wif dat?!