Sunday, June 15, 2008

Le taureau rouge n'est pas bon

The French government is looking for any excuse it can find to ban the sale of Red Bull. I say, "Good for them." I've had one Red Bull, and it made me want to wretch. How anyone can drink that crap is beyond me. I think the Frogs are on to something:

"In April this year, Austrian Energy drink producer Red Bull finally gained access to the French market. However, entry was subject to the removal of taurine from its drinks. Instead, Red Bull decided to use arginine.

"Prior to April, France’s food safety agency AFSSA did not authorise the sale of Red Bull’s products due to the lack of knowledge regarding the long term effects of taurine on the human body. However, France had to accept the product’s entry as no scientific evidence on its 'noxious effects' could be brought forward by the competent authorities.

"On Wednesday, France’s health minister Roselyne Bachelot informed the media that France is monitoring Red Bull beverages very closely and as soon as solid proof is provided, the state will ban sales of the energy drink."

In Red Bull's defense, I will say this: I think it's ironic that a nation which prides itself on the number of stinky, unpasteurized cheeses it produces is all head-up over an energy drink that's mostly caffeine.

No comments: