Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Oh, how it is good to me ...!

I made a batch of Crock-Pot® pulled-pork barbeque on Sunday (which I served with mashed potatoes). I had enough left-overs to eat for lunch for two days.


Today, a co-worker took a look at my tasty lunch and asked if I'd be willing to reveal my "secret recipes" for juicy pork coooked in a pot and smashed taters. I told her tain't no secret to neither one; indeed, I posted my recipe for Crock-Pot® BBQ 'n' mashed taters last month ago. To wit:

I slow-cooked a Boston butt in my Crock-Pot for six hours. It simmered in onions, carrots, garlic, Cavender's Greek Seasoning, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. When it was done, I removed it from the Crock and strained the remaining liqued into a large bowl.

When the meat was cooled enough to touch, I shredded it into large pieces and returned it to the Crock-Pot. I covered it -- this time -- with Nick's mild sauce and a healthy "plop" of Howton's sauce, and I put the Crock on "warm."

Meanwhile, I boiled a half-dozen good-sized taters and mashed 'em with butter, salt and pepper. In a separate pot, I made a roux with two tablespoons of butter and two tablespoons of flour. I put about three cups of strained pork butt juice (!) into the pot and reduced it until it was a thick gravy.


And that's my secret (apologies to Peter Clemenza).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought pork had to slow smoke over low flame to be BBQ! Right!