Saturday, March 07, 2009

Amo la mia salsa!


There're not many things in this world that I hate more than pre-packaged alfredo sauce. If a feller's gonna eat pasta with alfredo sauce, in my opinion, he ain't a proper feller unless he's eating stuff that's scratch-made.

The first time I ever made a batch of alfredo sauce. It was for a young lady I was dating when I was an undergrad; and if memory serves me correctly, I served my alfredo sauce with thin spaghetti. Since then, I've made my sauce several dozen times using the same basic recipe that I (mostly) came up with on my own way back in, well, way back when. My recipe follows.

Note: I snapped a pic of my sauce before I added cooked pasta. For the record, I used Barilla's mini penne.

Joltin' Django's Alfredo Sauce

Ingredients

6-8 boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders, pounded thin
3-4 slices prosciutto cotto, cut into thin strips
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup fresh-grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup white wine
1 small carton heavy whipping cream
Salt and pepper
Red pepper flakes

Directions

Heat heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and butter. Season chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. Add chicken to skillet and cook until it's well-browned on each side -- 2 minutes per side -- and remove.

Add shallot and garlic to skillet and cook 1 minute (do not allow garlic to brown). Add wine and scrape up any brown bits left over from the chicken.

Return chicken to skillet and add prosciutto, Parmesan cheese, cream, and a healthy pinch of red pepper flakes. Lower heat to medium-low, add 2-3 cups of preferred al dente pasta, and cover skillet. Cook for ten minutes, stirring well before serving.

No comments: