Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Yes, Sir!

Last night my good bud Bruce and I hit the Sir Pizza in Antioch to take advantage of their two-for-one deal (two pizzas for the price of one when dining in). Here's a pic:


I talked about Sir Pizza last August, and I'm about to repost my recount of that particular visit. First, however, he're some things you need to know about the Bell Road Sir Pizza:

● It looks, smells, and feels like and old-school pizzeria ... right down to the tight booths and checkered tablecloths.

● What would hot pizza be without cold beer? Draft beer in old-school pitchers is available therein.

● We couldn't have asked for better service. After taking our drink orders, our server returned to ask if we'd like a "bowl" of banana or jalapeño peppers (!). Our pizzas came out quick as a whip, and the boxes we requested for our leftovers were delivered even more quickly.

That said, here's what I had to say about Sir Pizza some six months ago. Please pay particular attention to what I had to say about the quality of Sir Pizza's pies ...

When I was a little kid, and by "little" I mean 5 or 6-years-old, there was a Sir Pizza restaurant on Nolensville Road near what is now the Nashville Zoo. I remember going to that restaurant several times, but I don't really remember anything about the pizza served there. What I do remember is the cartoon booth - that is, a little booth in which a child could sit and watch a cartoon for a quarter - that enticed me and my friends to keep jumping out of our seats as our parents told us to "Sit down and eat!"

Last night, I ate at Sir Pizza for the first time in many, many years. Sir Pizza is a bit of a fixture in Middle Tennessee, and I even did some business with 'em a few years back, so I'm a little bit embarrassed that it took me so long to go back there and get me some pizza pie. But last night, get me some pizza pie I did. Let me tell you 'bout it.

A good buddy and I went to the Sir Pizza just across the Davidson/Rutherford County line (in Lavergne, TN). When we placed our order - for a 14" with pepperoni, Italian sausage, onions, green peppers, and black olives - the kid behind the counter said, "Do you want two-for-one?" What he was asking was: Did we want two large-ass pizzas with pepperoni, Italian sausage, and onions for the price of one? Of course, we said "Yes!"

We ate one pizza, boxed-up the other, and then went to my parents' house where we presented a big-ass free pizza to my father. Oh, and then we went bowling. (There's a brief mention of my bowling adventure over at
The Nigh Seen Creeder.) Now, 'bout Sir Pizza's pizza ...

I've always been a sucker for thin crust pizza, and it pleased me to learn that Sir Pizza only sells thin crust pizzas. Now, by thin crust I don't mean a Pizza Hut-style thin crust that looks and tastes like a saltine cracker. Instead, I want a thin crust that's not only thicker than a blackjack hand, but also can hold a lot of toppings. And that's just what I was served at Sir Pizza.

Sir Pizza - and this is the one thing I remembered from my last visit there - puts a one-of-a-kind-tastin' Italian sausage on its pies. Not only is the sausage in question one-of-a-kind, it's also incredibly tasty. Indeed, more than once whilst eating tonight, I picked pieces of sausage off my slices of pizza to eat alone 'cause, well, Sir Pizza's sausage is unique among Nashville-area pizza restaurants.

Finally, let me say this: If you order a pie from Sir Pizza, expect a thin crust that'll have toppings almost to the very edge of the crust. And the toppings will not taste mass-produced. Instead, they'll taste ... well, you'll be eating something that tastes like it came from the I-talian joint down on the corner.

I'm gonna do two-for-one again at Sir Pizza next Tuesday. Who wants to join me?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

where is there a sir pizza on bell road in antioch? is it near hickory hollow?

Anonymous said...

Sir Pizza is my favorite pizza.....beats those in Chicago and New York (to me). I'm talking ab out the Royal Feast Pizza. It is so good it'll send tingles to your shoulder while swallowing.

Only other pizza I've had that I like just as well is the Sweep The Swamp pizza at Johnny's in Monroe, Louisiana.

Thanks for writing about Sir Pizza. It's an institution here in Murfreesboro.

Remember, the pizza you get "off the menu" is quite a bit different than they serve at the all-you-can-eat Tuesday buffet.

Joltin' Django said...

No, it's not near Hickory Hollow.

The Sir Pizza in Antioch is actually on Old Hickory Blvd. -- 14907 Old Hickory Blvd. to be exact. It sits on the corner where Old Hickory meets Bell Road, 'bout 1/2 mile east of Nolensville Road.

Hope that helps.

Joltin' Django said...

Thanks for writing about Sir Pizza. It's an institution here in Murfreesboro.

I know. Once upon a time, I worked for a trucking company that had an office in Murfreesboro. My company sent me to work at the M'boro office, and I leased a couple o' trucks to Sir Pizza (got a pretty good commission, too).

I plan on making the Antioch Sir Pizza a regular Tuesday post-work haunt. Feel free to join me sometime!