Saturday, January 16, 2010

Regardez le poulet créole


Anyone who knows ol' Joltin' Django well knows that I love Cajun/Creole food. Hell, if I hadn't sweated my ass off in New Orleans in late November a few years back, I could see myself living in south Louisiana ... eating like a starved pig and loving every minute of it.

I just happened upon a tasty-sounding recipe for Chicken Creole on the New Orleans Times-Picayune's Web site, which I can't wait to make. To wit:

Chicken Creole

Ingredients

1/4 cup olive oil
1 frying chicken, about 3 1/2 pounds, cut into serving pieces
6 shallots, minced
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups crushed tomatoes (canned with their juices)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced parsley
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1.2 cup dry white wine
3 cups (about) beef consommé

Directions

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces, in batches if necessary, and brown on both sides. As they cook, transfer the chicken pieces to a platter. Add the shallots, onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly golden, 5 to 6 minutes.

Add the flour and stir on medium-low heat until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic, parsley, bay leaves, thyme, salt, cayenne, black pepper, wine and consommé, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.

Return the chicken to the pot, cover, and simmer until the chicken is very tender, about 45 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and serve with rice.

1 comment:

Terry Baker said...

I like my Confederate Creole recipes better'n yorn. Seriously, when I was a kid in Arkansas, you could buy hog brains, rattlesnake meat and chocolate covered ants right there in the grocery store. I miss all that.