Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Cartoon of the day

I can certainly relate to this comic strip (click for larger view):


There are very few things which I absolutely refuse to eat; and there's virtually nothing that I will not try at least once. That's because my parents were a lot like Tiger's .

When I was a kid, I was served all manner of meats, vegetables and fruits ... and I literally did not leave the table until I ate what I'd been served. I recall many an evening when my parents would be retired to the living room with me still sitting at the dinner table with my chin resting in my hands, elbows on the table. Many times the scene would play out like this:

My mom would put something on my plate. "I don't like it!" I'd exclaim. "Have you ever had it?" My mom or dad would ask. I hadn't, of course, and mom or dad would ask, "How do you know you don't like it when you've never tried it?"

After sitting at the table, by myself, I'd eventually try what'd been served to me. And more often than not I'd come to the realization that I was being stubborn for nothing. (I distinctly remember refusing to eat succotash, mainly because I didn't care for how it looked, when I was about 7-years-old. I finely relented and tried it, and succotash remains one of my favorite dishes to this day.)

No comments: