Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Rooster fights the competition

About this time last year, a co-worker gave me a 28-ounce bottle of Huy Fong Foods' "Rooster" Sriracha Chili Sauce. I guess you could say that I liked it 'cause, well, it took me less than two weeks to empty the bottle. Click here to see my review of Huy Fong's hot sauce.

I was visiting a local Asian market today when I spied a brand of Thai-style chili sauce I'd never seen before: Pantainorasingh Sriracha sauce. My interest was piqued when noticed that a little recipe booklet was affixed to each bottle. I quickly picked one up and examined the label.


Not only is Pantai Sriracha imported from Thailand (unlike Huy Fong's "authentic" made-in-the-U.S.A. Sriracha), it won a Prime Minister's Export Award in 1998. That was all I need to hear - er, read - to know that I wanted to try it.

Pantai Sriracha is every bit as good as Rooster Sriracha. Hell, except for the amount of heat each one packs, they taste remarkably similar ... with Pantai being just a tad bit less hot. The only other discernable difference between the two is that Pantai is about $.50 cheaper.

I'm gonna be in a bit of a quandry when both of my bottles of Sriracha are empty. Do I buy a bottle of Rooster Sriracha for a guaranteed ten seconds of burn on my tongue each time I taste it, or do I save $.50 and settle for 6 seconds of burn?

Decisions, decisions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have had that rooster hot sauce. There is a chinese restaurant I go to alot and a bottle is on every table. I tried it one time and it was just too damn hot for me. I really dont know how you can eat that stuff!