Friday, November 07, 2008

It's that chili time of the year


About this time last year, a co-worker gave me a can of Varallo Famous Foods Chili. It took me a couple of weeks before I cracked it open, mainly 'cause I'd never been a big fan of canned chili. I liked Varallo's canned chili, however, and this is what I said about it here at AMGE:

Varallo Famous Foods Chili, without a doubt, is the finest canned chili I've ever eaten.

Unlike practically every canned chili I've ever consumed, Varallo Famous Foods Chili has visible chunks of tomato in its sauce -- not to mention chunks of ground beef that taste like, well, chunks of ground beef.

Now, Varallo canned chili is a tad on the salty sice (which is true of most canned foodstuffs). So hit it with a dollop of sour cream and some hot sauce, like I did, and you won't know no difference.


Unfortunately, the co-worker who game me the can of chili was no longer working with me by the time I got around to eating it. I looked for it at several grocery stores soon thereafter but couldn't find it. This afternoon, almost a year later, I found Varallo chili at the Apple Market grocery store on Nolensville Road. Bought five cans of it, too!

Now, I have no idea if Nashville's Varrallo-brand chili has any past/present relationship with Nashville's famous Varallo's restaurant. I'm looking into the matter, and I will fo' sho' give my readers a heads-up when I have more info.

No comments: