Monday, November 03, 2008

Crock-Pot BBQ

When I was in college, my friends and I would go to a certain soul food restaurant two or three times a week. It was, and remains to this day, my favorite eating place on the face of the earth. Indeed, I often tell folks that if I ever find myself on Death Row, I'm gonna request a meal from said eating place.

Now, the eating place in question is going to remain a mystery for the time being 'cause, well, I'm going there soon and afterward I'll give it proper props with pictures and all kinds of specific praise.

That said, I endeavored to make some barbeque like the barbeque served at my favorite eating place. I wasn't able to concoct a culinary carbon-copy, if you will, but I came darn close. Here's what I did:

First, I rubbed a Boston butt roast with a mixture of sweet and hot paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper. Second, I thin-sliced an onion and put it in the bottom of my Crock-Pot. Third, I put the roast in the Crock and poured in about six cups of water. Then the sombitch cooked on "low" for about eight hours.


A half-hour before my roast was through cooking, I made me a homemade BBQ sauce. Here's how I did it:

Joltin' Django's BBQ Sauce

Ingredients

2 cups Hunt's ketchup (Hunt's 'cause it's sweet)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
A little salt and a little black pepper

Directions

Put all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and slow-simmer for 30 minutes.


When my roast was finished, I let it cool for about 15 minutes and then I shredded the meat. The meat went back into the Crock-Pot along with the sauce. I gave my barbeque a good stirring, I put the dial on "warm," and I let it cook for another 20 minutes. This was the result:


As you can see, I made me some mashed potatoes with my barbeque. You can also see that there's gravy atop my mashed taters. What I did to get the gravy was this: I made a quick roux with 1/4-cup of butter and 1/4-cup of flour in a small saucepan; I added a little over 2 cups of the liquid in which my roast cooked to the pan; I gave the mixture a few twists of sea salt and black pepper; and then I simmered it for about 10 minutes until it was as thick as gravy needs to be.

You should've been here ...!

2 comments:

webbie said...

I place onions in the bottom of the crock pot, season the roast well with cumin, garlic, salt and pepper and place on top of the onions. Add 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/2 c water, a couple of dashes of liquid smoke and let it cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Pull it out and shred it, drain most of the juices, put the meat back in and add sauce. Cook for another 30 minutes on high.

I may try yours, though, the next time I make pulled pork.

Anonymous said...

If you put the boston butt on a smoker for maybe an hr just to get the smoke flavor and then finish it off in the crockpot it makes a pulled pork that is fab-u-lous. I ended up doing this one day when it rained.