Saturday, May 10, 2008

Tain't no cheese like pimiento cheese

When I was a kid, I would spend a good portion of each summer with my grandparents down in the country (Lincoln County, Tennessee, to be exact). My grandmother always - and I mean always - had a big tub of pimiento cheese in the frig; and every other day I'd eat a pimiento cheese sandwich for lunch with potatoes or beans left over from the previous night's supper. Now let me tell you something: There ain't nothing on earth better on a hot summer day than cool pimiento cheese between two slices of white bread.

A couple of years ago, 2005 I think, I went to Louisville, Kentucky to visit some friends. On the way up there, I stopped at a small grocery store to buy some thing (probably chewing tobacco). I spied a big-ass container of Knott's Jalapeño Pimiento Cheese in a small cooler and I just had to have it.


That Knott's pimento cheese was some of the best pimiento cheese I'd ever had. Sadly, I have not been able to find a single Knott's product in any grocery store or market in the Nashville area. That's not to say that Knott's stuff ain't out there somewhere; I just ain't been able to find it.

I mention all this because a loyal A Man's Gotta Eat reader sent me to a link to a story about pimiento cheese from NPR's Web site. Said story not only includes a recipe for pimiento cheese, it suggests using Duke's mayonnaise to make the stuff. Check it out here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My grandmother makes the best pimento cheese. If I ever had to leave the South pimento cheese would be one of the things I would miss most.

Anonymous said...

NEVER WAS A FAN OF PIMENTO CHEESE. I THINK BECAUSE MY MOTHER WOULD SOMETIMES PUT IT IN MY LUNCH AND IT WOULD BE WARM WHEN I GOT TO EAT IT. THAT AND MY MOTHER ALWAYS PUT IT ON WHEAT BREAD AND I HATE WHEAT BREAD.

lastmango2 said...

If you need a jalapeno pimento cheese fix and don't feel like making, Harris Teeter makes a darn good one. It is in the deli section.

Anonymous said...

embrace the beast!

Comfortcook said...

The Sutler had great Pimento cheese.

Anonymous said...

All piminto cheese should be is sharp chedder, Pimentos, and Duke's Mayo. Experament and add other ingredients if you must.I've tried the store bought stuff and it has a list of ingredients a mile long and isn't as good.