Friday, May 30, 2008

Lemme tell you 'bout my lunch

Last night, my bon ami and colleague Mr. Jimmy sent me an e-mail to tell me that he would be providing lunch today. Mr. Jimmy, as always, was true to his word. He brought me a tub of spaghetti, from the Belmont Bi-Rite, and it was goooooood eatin'. Check it out:


The Belmont Bi-Rite's spaghetti won't impress an Italian too much; but it certainly will impress the hell out of anyone who grew up eating Southern-style spaghetti, like my sainted grandmother used to make.

My Granny Ruby's spaghetti recipe went something like this: she'd start with spaghetti noodles that'd been cooked way past the al dente stage; she'd throw in some browned ground beef and a small can of tomato sauce; and then she'd add a lot of black pepper and a little sugar. That don't sound like much, I know, but it was sure one of my favorite things to eat during the long summers I spent at my grandparents' country home when I was a kid.

The spaghetti Mr. Jimmy brought me today tasted a lot like my granny's spaghetti. I now know why he's always telling me that I need to get my ass over to the Belmont Bi-Rite to partake of their plate-lunch cuisine: it's food like my granny - and probably your granny, if you grew up in the South - used to make. Good stuff, indeed.

Belmont Bi-Rite
3116 Belmont Blvd
Nashville, TN 37212
615.292.0253

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We should get us about 3 pounds along with some butter and bread and a little cheese and make a big meal out of it. I might even try your Grammy Ruby's technique and make a batch.
Don't forget the hot sauce!

Anonymous said...

you are lucky. my mother used to cook a pound of spagetti put in a a can of Hunts spagetti sauce. It was the saltiest sauce and tasted like alot of nothing. no cheese on top or nothing. God bless her she meant well but you ate better than me.