Saturday, May 17, 2008

$100 Cheesesteak ... WTF?!


Whenever I see a story in which a high-dollar chef is name-checked 'cause he or she's put a haute cuisine spin on an American classic, I just wanna puke. You know - gulpin' hard here - a story like this:

"Sliced, sizzled and slathered with cheese ... the famous Philly cheesesteak serves as an iconic representation of [Philadelphia] and now, an expensive luxury.

"That's because Chef James Locascio, of Rittenhouse Square's Barclay Prime, created ... an upscale version of the sandwich that includes butter poached lobster and shaved truffles.

"'It's every ingredient you want to try in a life time in one,' said Locascio.

"Still, that kind of lavishness doesn't come cheap. For one cheesesteak, expect to pay $100. That is nearly 15 times more than the original."

A Philly cheesesteak ... with lobster ... and truffles? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

I've long said that if I ever get a chance to go to Philadelphia, a cheesesteak sammich will be the first thing I'll eat when I get there. Needless to say, I won't be goin' to Barclay Prime to get one. Indeed, I'll save myself $90 by goin' to Pat's; or I'll splurge and eat at Pat's and Geno's. Only the angels know what I'll do with my remaining 80 bucks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Saw a story a couple of years ago about a $200 hamburger with kobe beef. No thanks. With that money I could grill a hamburger every day for six months in my backyard. And it would probably taste better too.