Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Fry 'em, mash 'em, or put 'em in a stew ... I do like potatoes!


According to an article in USA Today, Chilean Agriculture Minister Marigen Hornkohl is quoted as stating that 99 percent of the world's potatoes derive from tubers native to Chile.

The head of Peru's National Institute for Agricultural Innovation, Juan Risi, begs to differ. He says Chile's potatoes are mere "grandchildren" of Peru's spuds:

"Peruvian potatoes that originated near lake Titicaca are the true potatoes, and their children spread throughout the Andes."

You know, I could really care less whether potatoes originated in Peru or Chile. They could've come from Mars as far as I'm concerned. Fry 'em, mash 'em, or put 'em in a stew ... I do like to eat the little brown - or red - buggers.

That said, the gov'ment of Peru claims that there are some 3000 varieties of potatoes available in country. If that's true, a Peruvian feller - or a Peru-visitin' feller - could cook and eat a different type of potato every day for over eight years.

A different potato each day, year afer year afer year after year after year after year after year after year? Yeah, I think I could do that ...!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love mashed potatoes. You need to post a mashed potato recipe Joltin.