Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Top beer myths busted (and I mean BUSTED)


I like beer
It makes me a jolly good fellow


-- Tom T. Hall, "I Like Beer"

A young lady who uses the handle "Greysanatomy" has posted an article at Hubpages.com in which she debunks some of the biggest beer myths. Below you'll find a few that I find interesting. Go here to see the rest (and to see a picture of Ms. Greysanatomy ... wow!).

Beat the Beer Belly with Light Beer

OK, light beers have maybe 90-100 calories, regular beers generally have less than 200 calories. A beer lover would say the difference is comparable to the difference between McDonalds and a 5 star restaurant. A dietician would tell you the difference is negligible. So unless you are drinking 300 beers a week, I would drink the good stuff.

Beer shouldn't be Bitter

The bitterness of a beer comes from the hops. Hops are in all beers to balance the sweet malts and to act as a preservative. Some beers have a lot of hops, like India Pale Ales (IPAs) and some beers have less hops, like Wheat Beers. Hops can give a beer complexity and add all sorts of flavors and aromas, like pine, citrus, and earthiness. Hops are why people say beer is an acquired taste, but they also make beer delicious.

The best beers are in green bottles

As it turns out, brown bottles protect the beer from the light much better than green bottles or clear bottles. This myth comes from when there was a shortage of brown glass in Europe after WWII. The European beers were bottled in green instead, so green bottles came to represent imports. This certainly isn't the case anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the first person I think I have ever seen mention Tom T. Halls "I like beer" song. I tell that song to people and they look at me like I'm crazy!

Anonymous said...

I don't do light beer. I'm right there with you on that one. If you don't drink 8 beers everyday, and you eat right, you will never have to worry about a beer belly. So drink the good stuff