Saturday, February 23, 2008

Y'say "tuh-mah-toe"; Joltin' Django says, "Here's a great tomato gravy" ...


Weeks ago, I toted a pot of spaghetti sauce to a party. More than one party-goer asked me, "What's in that great-tastin' sauce?" I didn't tell them, but I'm tellin' you ...

What follows is my recipe for Italian red sauce. It ain't authentically Italian, by any stretch. But what can I do? I'm just a Scots-Irish/Frog from Middle Tennessee. What the hell do I know 'bout Italian gravy? Just this:

Joltin' Django's Special Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients

1 roll Italian sausage
1 large white onion, diced
1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 large cans chopped Italian tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 cup red wine
10-15 frozen "Italian" meatballs
2 tablespoons dried basil
Salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste

Directions

Brown sausage in large pot over medium heat. Break sausage into small pieces with wood spoon. Add onions and garlic and stir until onions are soft.

Pour in olive oil, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, and wine; add frozen meatballs, basil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir very well.

Bring pot o' Italian stuff to a boil. Reduce heat to "extra low" and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Ladle over penne or spaghetti noodles, and serve with a crusty bread.

ENJOY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

all a good pasta needs is a good alive oil and a good red wine