Friday, February 08, 2008

News you can use

I've received numerous requests to enable comments on A Man's Gotta Eat. Well, I've finally gone and done it. So comment away, folks.

That said ...

Over at Music City Bloggers, Claudia gives my chicken soup recipe a major shout-out. Check it out:

"So i was sent a link to this blog and upon perusal I was thinking - this just isn’t for me… I mean his blog description reads:

"'A Man’s guide to filling his belly, pickling his liver, and clouding his lungs in Nashville, Middle Tennessee, and parts beyond. Because no man should settle for light beer, tofu, skim milk, smoke-free bars, or restaurants best known for their grilled-chicken salads.'

"Although I was somewhere between agreement and being perhaps a bit off-put, I wasn’t convinced that I’d find anything here for me until my eyes fell upon this recipe and I realized, hey - this guy can cook! He even uses kosher salt as opposed to the dreaded ‘umbrella girl’ brand. My respect was elevated and I read on.

"'Remove chickens to a platter or shallow baking dish. Strain stock into smaller stock pot
(Note: Now, some limp-wristed chefs will tell you to skim off the little droplets of fat that rise to the surface of chicken stock. Hell, I’ve even heard some TV chefs say that stock should be put in the refrigerator for several hours so all of the fat can congeal at the top and be removed. As Anthony Bourdain once said, most of the flavor in a stock is concentrated in those little droplets of fat; and only a fool would remove such from a homemade stock.)'


"Django, you got that right! Good going man, but if I could just suggest, next time use fresh thyme. Big diff. Anyway - I was beginning to feel pretty good about this guy and then I spotted the last picture and had to grab for my reading glasses. ...

"Sure enough, a box of matzoh. Wow. I love this guy. Nashville. Matzoh. Who woulda thought?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe next time you can post your recipe for cucumber watercress sandwiches and ladyfingers - which is what we all know you serve at your Sunday afternoon teas.

Joltin' Django said...

"Maybe next time you can post your recipe for cucumber watercress sandwiches and ladyfingers - which is what we all know you serve at your Sunday afternoon teas."

I resisted allowing comments for six months. They're barely up two hours and you're already bustin' on me!

Am I gonna have to take 'em down again?!