Monday, February 11, 2008

'Shamed to admit ...


My hockey game-attendin' pal, Joe, shamed me into tellin' this story 'bout our recent trip to Piranha's Bar & Grill:

I tried to order a Yazoo draft beer by saying: "Gimme a Yahoo." When the Piranha's bartender -- a rather comely gal, you should know -- asked for clarification, I again asked for a "Yahoo." Ms. Bartender then gave me a most cross-eyed/you're a dumbass look. Goodness!

When I attempted to explain that my Yazoo/Yahoo faux pas was a result of my having read about Yahoo!'s maybe-merger with Microsoft in the WSJ, Ms. Piranha's Bartender seemed most uninterested. I started to say something tacky ("Can you even spell 'Wall Street Journal?'"), but I - wisely - decided to just let "it" go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whaddya crackin' wise with some poor ol' sweet gal just trying to keep one foot in front of the other . . what she post to know 'bout no mergers? I knew about it but if you came in and starting waxin' all po-et-ee-cal what with mixing WSJ references with beer references, especially local beer references, and especially good local beer references - well, all I can say is, I won't be responsible!

Anonymous said...

You should be horsewhipped, Sir! Some of us marooned out in Arizona can't even GET Yazoo out here! I shall send you a bagfull of scorpions and Javelina-cracklins for your supper. All those years teaching Nashvillians how to pronounce it right (I am from Jackson, Mississippi, just down the road from Yazoo City), and now I can't even BUY it! Oh, the humanity!