Friday, August 01, 2008

It's tomato soup, served ice-cold (apologies to Lisa Simpson)


I love - no, I freakin' love - gazpacho. Gazpacho often gets a bad rap, but when it's made right, it is really, really good.

The best gazpacho I ever consumed was in a French (!) restaurant in New York City's Theatre District in 2003. It had big honkin' pieces of tomato and cucumber, and it was spicy as all get-out. When I got home, I tried to replicate that gazpacho dish - 'bout three times over - but I just couldn't do it.

It's been five years since I last tried to make a pot o' gazpacho. The following recipe - from CampbellsKitchen.com - arrived in my e-mail box today, and I can't wait to try it. I'm pretty sure that it won't taste like the all-from-scratch soup I had at the French restaurant five years ago; but it looks pretty tasty nonetheless. To wit:

Campbell's® Quick Gazpacho

Ingredients

1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Soup
1 cup water
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 medium cucumber , seeded and chopped
1 small green pepper , chopped

Directions

Mix soup, water, vinegar, oil, onion, garlic, cucumber and pepper.

Refrigerate for 3 hours.

Serve with fresh-baked croutons.

1 comment:

Mister Jimmy said...

I like extra croutons please. Sometimes a bit of sour cream & scallions, and then more gazpacho and this time use a bigger bowl!