Monday, January 07, 2008

Meatloaf Monday


I'll admit that there are very few things that I can do and do well. One thing at which I excel, however, is making meatloaf. Indeed, I can make a hunk o' meatloaf that'll make you want to slap your pappy.

I posted my meatloaf recipe a few months back but, alas, I did not have a picture to show my finished product. I do now (see above) 'cause meatloaf was on the table at Chez Allison ce soir.

Here's my recipe again. I didn't have any bread crumbs tonight, so I used matzo meal instead. I may very well make matzo a permanent feature of my meatloaf from here on out ...

Joltin' Django's Meatloaf

Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 large white onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
2 eggs
2 heaping tablespoons Cavender's Greek Seasoning
1 tablespoon ground sea salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 can Vietti Creole Sauce
1/4 cup ketchup

Directions

Cover 8 X 8-inch baking dish with aluminum foil. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour Creole Sauce into a large bowl. Add ketchup. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix ground beef, onion, bell pepper, bread crumbs, eggs, Greek Seasoning, salt and pepper. Fashion mixture into a brick-like loaf and place in baking dish. Cook for 45 minutes.

Remove meatloaf from oven. Drain grease from baking dish. Pour half of Creole Sauce/ketchup mixture over meatloaf. Return to oven.

Cook meatloaf for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cover with remaining Creole Sauce and ketchup. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Serve with hand-mashed potatoes and green beans.

No comments: