Friday, January 25, 2008

Yankee beer, go home!


Yuengling beer started showing up in Nashville-area markets and stores 'bout six or eight months ago. Produced by Pennsylvania's oldest brewery, D.G. Yuengling & Son, Yuengling is beloved by beer drinkers in the Northeast and along the Eastern seaboard. (A co-worker who hails from Pennsylvania recently told me: "If you go into a bar [in Pennsylvania] and ask for a 'lager,' you get a Yuengling."

I'd been reluctant to try me a bottle or two of Yuengling. You see, I'm so loyal to my favorite brews - Samuel Smith's, Samuel Adams, Yazoo, Anchor Steam - that I feel guilty spending money on new brews that I may not even like.

Before heading to my best buddy's house to do some pickin' ce soir, I stopped at my favorite quickie mart to get some brews and chew. Since Yuengling Lager was on sale, I says to myself, I says, "What the hell. I'll try it." Here's my verdict:

Yuengling Lager tastes very thin for a lager, and it leaves a God-awful taste in your mouth upon swallowing. With each sip I told my buddy, "This **** is worse than Budweiser!" He wholeheartedly agreed.

Needless to say, I won't be buying Yuengling beer again.

UPDATE:

My "cousin" David writes to give his two-cents 'bout Yuengling ...

"I read your post about Yuengling, and could not agree more. Why the hell yuppies are paying premium prices for PBR (The Greenhouse, anywhere in the Village) and for this detestable Yankee swill is beyond me (please quote me on that). Retro-slumming, I call it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sam Adams is "yankee beer" too chief. Maybe You got some bad yeungling. I like Guiness and Sam Adams and alot of other stuff and I occassionally enjoy a yeungling. Maybe they ship seconds to the south and keep the good stuff in yankee country LOL