Thursday, January 24, 2008

An apple a day ... will cost you more


These are my favorite beverages (in order of favoriteness, if you will):

Coca-Cola
Vitamin D milk
Beer
Tennessee Whisky
Water

While I mainly function, if you will, on the first three of the above-mentioned beverages, I do enjoy a glass of juice from time to time. And when I have a hankerin' for a glass of juice, it's usually of the apple variety.

I purchase apple juice about once a month. (I have no particular brand loyalty; I usually look for something on sale.) When I purchase next month's jug o' apple juice, it'll cost me, indeed:

"The price of apple juice ... is set to rise this year due to bad weather in China, in another sign the country's growing influence is affecting the world in unexpected ways.

"China sells as many apples as the rest of the world put together.

"But a late frost last year and cold, wet weather has reduced the crop by 10 per cent and helped to increase the price of international supplies of apple juice concentrate, for which much of the fruit is destined."

No comments: