Friday, January 04, 2008

So, how is this sausage called "Georgia Boy?"

When it comes to cookin' staples, there're a few things you can always count on findin' in Joltin' Django's kitchen: butter, whole milk, flour, Kosher salt, quality olive oil, balsamic/white/red wine vinegar, canned tomatoes, white onions, etc..  While those staples're very important, JD's favorite thing-always-have-on-hand is his large stock of smoked sausage.  That is, Georgia ... Boy ... smoked sausage.  Read on ...
 
Summer of 2005, I was on my way home from Atlanta - Braves game - and I exited somewhere in North Georgia to get medication to sooth the headache with which I was suffering.  A Something-Something Bi-Rite was the first medicine-selling place I encountered, so that's where I decided to do my dry-goodin'. 
 
As I searched the North Georgia Bi-Rite in question for the medicine aisle, I passed a small, open refrigerated display in which Lee Roll Sausage (hot and mild) and Georgia Boy smoked sausage, both of which are produced by D.L. Lee & Sons, was frozen and displayed.  Call it fate - or call it a wild hair - but I decided to purchase a 2 6-link boxes of Georgia Boy sausage -- mainly 'cause I could look into the box and see how the casing of each sausage link had been twisted into an end-lump that included yet more meat! "That's my kinda meat!" I says to myself.
 
I cooked my Georgia Boy sausage and loved it and figured I'd never enjoy the taste of it again until I next went to Georgia, and ...
 
At some point last summer, I found myself in the Publix Super Market in Nolensville, TN.  I was traipsing through the meat when I spied ... Georgia Boy Smoked Sausage! I stuffed two boxes of Georgia Boy under my arm and made a beeline for the checkout. If memory serves, I think it took less than a weekfor me to consume those 12 links of sausage.
 
I recently learned that Georgia Boy Smoked Sausage is available at every Nashville-area Publix grocery store.  Since learning such, I've made sure that my freezer is stuffed with plenty of Georgia Boy. Tonight, I cooked some up in my George Foreman GV5 Contact Cooker. Talk about juicy! A little Mrs. Renfro's jalapeño salsa and, son, you don't get many things that're tastier than this:

3 comments:

DerikTutt said...

Georgia Boy links are the best. I learned about them once I moved here to Atlanta. My aunt cooks them for breakfast all the time. I simply put them into a frying pan and add water. Just enough to cover the bottom of the pan and boil it down. Add water as needed and flip the links over. After about 10 minutes, you will feel the links to become plump and juicy. I then take the water out and fry them in a little oil. Delicious!!! You can even bake them in the oven on a cookie sheet and they are excellent this way also.

Anonymous said...

I went over my cousin's house to visit and he was cooking what I thought were brats since she's from Wisconsin. She left to go to work and he offered me one, I said sure and with a little mustard started in "Boy they were great ", turns out they were Georgia Boy hot sausages cause I looked in the trash for the wrapper! He had bought them in a variety pack from DL Lee on sale at the Food Lion, well next time I was there I asked and that's the only way they sell them in a $18 variety pack. I still may bite the bullet they were that good!

Erin said...

I think that all Publix stores carry them, seeing as I also found them in several stores in Huntsville, AL