Monday, January 21, 2008

Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday



Everyone who knows me is well aware of the fact that I detest chain restaurants -- especially "casual dining" chain restaurants. Last week, I was more or less dragged to a local Ruby Tuesday by three female family members (go figure).

Seeing nothing on the menu that struck my fancy, I opted for a bowl of white bean chicken chili and Ruby Tuesday's "famous" salad bar. The salad bar was nothing to write home about, to say the least, but the chicken chili was pretty darn good. If Ruby Tuesday ever starts serving its chicken chili in big-arsed bowls as an entrée, I might - might - be tempted to once again place my buns in one of their booths.

That said, I found a recipe for "authentic" Ruby Tuesday white bean chicken chile on Recipe Zaar over the weekend, and I cooked up a batch tonight. I followed the directions - listed below - faithfully, which was a mistake. With each bit I said, "Man, this needs something." What it needed was more cumin, more oregano, more tomatoes ... more everything!

White Bean Chicken Chili

Ingredients

6 cups chicken stock
1 lb navy beans (soaked overnight)
2 medium onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded & diced
6 cups cooked chicken, diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Simmer beans, onions, garlic and peppers for 2 hours in the chicken stock or until the beans soften, stirring frequently.

Add chicken, spices, tomatoes, salt and pepper and simmer for one more hour.

Garnish with sour cream and fresh chopped cilantro.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANKS FOR THE RECIPE - MY BOYFRIEND MIKE LIKES IT A LOT. WE ADD SPICE TO IT. IT CAN BE A LITTLE BLAND. HE EVEN MAKES IT HIMSELF.
CHOW FROM VERO BEACH, FLORIDA.

Anonymous said...

I USED A BIG JAR OF NORTHERN WHITE BEANS AND PUT IN 4 CUPS OF BROTH AND GRATED ONE CARROT AND ADDED A TBS OF DRIED PARSLEY. I THINK I HAVE FOUND MY NEXT LOCAL CHILI COOK-OFF RECIPE. YUMMY. THANKS JD

Anonymous said...

I use salsa instead of the diced tomatoes. It adds more flavor.