Sunday, May 10, 2009

Pour ma mère


For Mother's Day, ma mère put in a request for my patented I-talian-style sketti. I happily obliged. And here's how I did it:

Joltin' Django's I-talian-style Sketti

Ingredients

1 lb ground Italian sausage
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 cans Cento peeled tomatoes with basil
3-4 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 small white onion, chopped
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
Salt and course-ground black pepper (to taste)
10-12 frozen Italian meatballs (I used homemade meatballs from my freezer)

Directions

Over medium heat, brown Italian sausage in a large heavy-bottomed pot. Remove sausage to paper towels to drain.

Add olive oil to remaining drippings. When pot returns to medium heat, add onions. Cook until clear, 3-4 minutes, and then add garlic. Stir repeatedly for 1 minute.

Pour tomatoes and juice into pot, crushing tomatoes with the back of a large spoon. Return cooked sausage to pot, and add tomato paste, wine, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir, stir, and stir until sauce begins to slowly bubble (10-12 minutes).

Turn heat to low and add meatballs. Cover pot and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes (stirring every 3-4 minutes).

Serve with al dente spaghetti, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and a large glass of red wine.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mister Jimmy said...

I used those same Cento 'maters when I made my last batch of Camp Style 'Sketti.