Monday, February 16, 2009

Les haricots rouges et le riz de ma maison

The last time I was in New Orleans, in 2006, I dined in a restaurant on Bourbon Street in which I ate the best red beans and rice I've ever had in my life. They were so good, in fact, that I'd describe them as groin-grabbingly good (apologies to Homer Simpson).

My traveling companion and I were both a bit tipsy - nay, very tipsy - when we stumbled into the joint; and when we stumbled out, well I just wasn't of a right mind to pay attention to the nom du restaurant. Don't matter, though, 'cause I'm pretty sure I could find the place again -- it was two doors down from a strip joint!

After much experimentation, I've come up with a pretty good recipe for red beans and rice. What I cook ain't groin-grabbingly good like the stuff that comes out of that unnamed restaurant in New Orleans. Let's just say that my red beans and rice are damn good, and let's just leave it at that.

I made a pot o' beans tonight, and I served 'em with some Zatarain's rice. Here's a pic:


It was a bad mistake for me to put slow-cooked red beans in a dark red bowl for picture-takin' purposes. D'oh! That said, here's my recipe:

Joltin' Django's Red Beans & Rice

Ingredients

1.5 lbs red kidney beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large bell pepper (diced)
1 large white onion (chopped)
1 clove garlic, minced
2-3 heaping tablespoons Luzianne Cajun Seasoning
1 lb andouille sausage (sliced into quarter-inch cubes)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Soak beans in large heavy-bottomed pot for 6-8 hours. Strain beans and wash in cold water. Set beans aside.

Place pot on stove and heat for 5 minutes on medium head. Add olive oil, bell pepper, and onion, saute until onions are clear. Add garlic and saute for 10-15 seconds. Remove pot from heat.

Pour beans into pot and cover with water. Add Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper and stir well. Place pot on stove and bring beans to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a slow simmer. Cook for one hour.

Add sausage to beans and add more Cajun seasoning if needed. Cover pot and cook - again, on slow simmer - for 2 1/2-3 hours.

Serve beans over white rice with healthy dashes of your favorite hot sauce (I prefer Tabasco®).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Popeye's Chicken has good red beans and rice. I know fast food red beans and rice probably does not reach up to your standards.