Saturday, February 28, 2009

"Blue Plate" lunch or dinner or ...

'Bout three months ago, Mr. Jimmy told me that Blue Plate mayonnaise was the mayo of his childhood. He also told me that he hadn't had it in years. Well ...


Nashville-area Publix stores now sell Blue Plate mayo. Me and Mr. Jimmy gave it a try recently (on white bread with store-bought turkey and cheap individually-sliced cheese), and here's the verdict:

Blue Plate ain't as good as Duke's, but it IS a first-class Southern-style mayonnaise. That is, it ain't fermentedly-tangy like Miracle Whip, and it don't taste like it was spooned from a tup o' cheap crap from Kroger's condiment aisle.

Indeed, Blue Plate's rich o' eggy goodness and, well, that's all you need to know to know that Blue Plate mayo will make excellent burgers, and excellent po' boys, and excellent chicken salad, and excellect anything that involves mayo.

So there.

1 comment:

Mister Jimmy said...

We concur. DUKE'S is THE mayo. (I can't tell much difference between it and C. F. Sauer but since they are both made by the same company that doesn't surprise me.) If I've got the spare change DUKE'S wins every time. But for those times I don't it's nice to know I don't have to settle for that whitish oil and egg based condiment that passes for mayo.