Thursday, October 18, 2007

Seoul food

Sokkori Jchim has been a topic du jour in my workplace this week. Since contracts, non-disclosure forms, and magazine subscriptions preclude me from saying anything further, I reckon I'll just post the following recipe, which I found in a Korean cookbook.

Here 'tis:

Sokkori Jchim, aka Korean Oxtail Soup

Ingredients

10 cups water
2 lbs oxtail, cut by butcher into 2-inch sections
2 medium onions, sliced
2-4 whole dried red chili peppers, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
2-3 scallions, chopped

Directions

Bring oxtail and water to a boil in a large pot. Skim off the foam that rises and cook over low to medium heat, covered, for 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

Add onions, peppers, garlic, soy sauce, salt and pepper and continue to cook for 20 - 30 minutes. Add chopped scallions and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.

Serve warm with rice and kimchi.

No comments: