Monday, October 01, 2007

Coo-coo for Yoo-hoo!


When I was a kid, practically all of the milk products that were consumed by my family had been delivered directly to our house by Purity Dairies. Thus, if Purity didn't deliver it, yours truly didn't drink/eat it.

I was in college when I first tasted Yoo-hoo, my curiosity sparked by a Seinfeld re-run. (You know, the one with the Bubble Boy -- "Yoo-hoo?! I love Yoo-hoo!") I purchased a bottle at MTSU's on-campus convenience store ... and I was hooked.

My Yoo-hoo one-bottle-a-day habit, indulged by the above-mentioned store, quickly became a two or three-bottles-a-day habit when I discovered six-packs at Wal-Mart for $1.99 (if memory serves me correctly). I was practically living on a Yoo-hoo-fueled sugar high, until ...

Until I made the mistake of attempting to use Yoo-hoo as a pick-me-up the morning after drinking a lot of cheap draft beer at a party. Let's just say that Yoo-hoo is not an effective hangover cure (I'll leave it at that).

I still enjoy an occasional Yoo-hoo, but I can only wonder how much enjoyin' I'd be doing if I hadn't once attempted to make my head stop pounding with a bottle of Yoo-hoo!

All that said, here's an interesting post 'bout Yoo-hoo from AOL food blogger Kat Kinsman. A sample:

"There's a purity to Yoo-hoo -- a hearkening back to the childhood glee of guilt-free indulgence (and yes, there is a Yoo-hoo Lite with a fraction of the sugar and calories). It's sweet, easy-sipping, and thoroughly un-serious -- perfect with a PB&J or just cold from the fridge."

No comments: