Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Joltin' Django rubs you the right way (pun firmly intended)


Yesterday, I told you about my scalloped potatoes. Today, I'm gonna tell you about the pork loin I cooked alongside my taters.

I clipped a recipe for a BBQ rub from the local paper several weeks back. I didn't use it right away because I thought it had too much sugar in it. So I tweaked it a bit and tried it for the first time last night. Here 'tis:

Joltin' Django's Spicy BBQ Rub

1 cup sweet paprika
1 cup hot paprika
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup onion powder
1/4 cup onion powder
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper

I mixed all those ingredients up really well, and then I liberally coated all sides of my 2.5-pound pork loin. I let the pork loin rest in the refrigerator for about 2 hours before shoving it into a 350-degree oven. It cooked for about 50 minutes, and rested another 10 minutes, before I cut into it. Damn, son, that was one of the juiciest and most flavorful hunks of pork I've ever eaten in my life. And, as my grandfather used to say, that ain't no ****, either.

One thing you need to know about that rub: If you put it in an airtight container, it will keep for about six months. So if you have some left over, and you will, you can use it again (and again).

1 comment:

Tony C said...

Jackpot! This is the blog I've been looking for.

Man, I'm starving to death now.

I'll be trying dishes.