Sunday, July 06, 2008

Mmm ... pie

"Promises and pie-crust are made to be broken."

-- Jonathan Swift

I don't think I've ever mentioned it before -- hell, I've never had a reason to mention it before -- but my name can be found on the membership-roll at Antioch United Methodist Church in, well, Antioch, Tennessee.

This morning, I attended a UMC church service in La Vergne, TN, to witness a good friend's infant son's Christening. Since I was a visitor, the church's welcoming committee gave me a homemade chocolate-chess pie. Yes, a whole chocolate-chess pie. It was pretty good, too.


Reckon what kind of pie I'd have gotten if I'd visited a Unitarian-Universalist church?

Weed? Dirt?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reckon what kind of pie I'd have gotten if I'd visited a Unitarian-Universalist church?

you dont want to know!!!

Anonymous said...

I went through a Unitarian phase when I was in college and attended a UU church for a couple of years. Believe you me when I tell you that most UU members have a lot of disposable income. If they were in the habit of giving pies to visitors, they would give out quiches, and the quiches would be made with Whole Foods organic ingredients.

Anonymous said...

you know you are a true agnostic and why drag the good name of the unitarian church trough the mud?