Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Granny Ruby's cornbread

Seems like I promised to tell my loyal readers how I make cornbread. I learned how to make cornbread from my Granny Ruby. Here's what she taught me:

Granny Ruby's Cornbread

Ingredients

1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups self-rising cornmeal
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk (or buttermilk)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350. Pour oil into an iron skillet. Heat skillet in oven, 8-10 minutes.

In a medium bowl mix the cornmeal, eggs, and milk. Remove the skillet from the oven and pour the hot oil into the cornmeal batter. Stir. Increase oven temperature to 400.

Pour the cornmeal batter into the hot skillet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the top of the cornbread is golden and crispy.

Serve alongside beans or fried chicken or meatloaf or boiled cabbage. Or, simply serve piping hot with a big glass of milk and lots of real butter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have not had corbread baked in a skillet since I was 11 or 12 years old. That is how MY grandmother made it. And she used an iron skillets that belonged to HER grandmother. I do not have an iron skilllet but I think you have inspired me to go and buy one.