Sunday, March 02, 2008

Will it kill you to eat a yolk? Nope.


There's an episode of Seinfeld in which George asks Jerry, who's just ordered an egg white omelet, "Will it kill you to eat a yolk?" Short answer: Nope.

I used to work with a feller who would only eat egg white omelettes. He smoked like a chimney, and drank like a fish, but he thought he was doing himself a big favor by eschewing yolks.

"Why don't you eat yolks?" I asked him one time. "Because they're bad for you," he replied. Coming from him, I thought it was the silliest f'ing thing I'd ever heard.

If I was still in contact with my former co-worker, I would tell him this (from food blog I ran across this morning):

"No yolks in your omelettes? That's just utterly unnecessary. The yolk contains lutein and zeaxanthin, which are crucial for eye health. Egg yolks are also an important source of phosphatidylcholine, a nutrient that boosts brain health. Worried about your cholesterol levels? Consider this: Half the fat in the yolk isn't saturated."

So eat them egg yolks, boys. They good fer you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

every other week it changes whether or not eggs are good for you. just as long as you arent eating a dozen at a time nobody should be worried