Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Dinner

Easter doesn't hold a candle to Thanksgiving and Christmas as a food-based holiday. Easter does, however, have an eating tradition all its own -- and that eating tradition usually involves big baked hams. (And I like that!)

When I got home from church yesterday, I went to work in my kitchen. I put a big bone-in ham in the oven, which was wrapped in a tight foil tent along with a can of Coca-Cola. (If you allow a ham to steam in Coke, it will be less salty ... guaranteed.)

When the ham was about an hour away from being done (I cooked it for 3 hours at 350 degrees), I put some Allens green beans on the stove (recipe here). Thirty minutes later, I put a casserole dish full of my semi-famous macaroni and cheese in the oven.

I let the ham and mac and cheese cook together for about 20 minutes, and then I took the ham out of the oven. The mac and cheese cooked in an oven on "broil" for about 4 minutes, until the top cheese, if you will, was brown and crispy. The ham rested for about 20 minutes until it was unwrapped. At that point, it was time to eat.

Here's my plate:


You wish you'd been at Chez Django yesterday afternoon, don't you? (Be honest!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I feel pity for anybody that had to eat at Shony's yesterday. You need to open a restaurant.

Mister Jimmy said...

ham 'n' mac is one of the classics, assuming you had yer Easter whisky to go along with it.