Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Joltin' Django ♥ grinders

Last night, I met up with Mr. Jimmy and Chris at Rudino's Pizzas & Grinders for dinner and drinks. (Actually, I was the only one who was drinkin'. I had me a Blue Moon draft.)

Right here's where we all went:


Mes amis headed to Rudino's at my suggestion. When I sent 'em over there, I didn't do so 'cause I had a special affinity for Rudno's. I said "let's go" 'cause I had coupons. (Now, who among us will dismiss the prospect of discounted food?)

I'd been to Rudino's prior to last night's visit ... some four years ago. I remembered that Rudino's served up some pretty good grub, but I really didn't remember anything about what I'd eaten during my last visit.

Knowing that I couldn't go wrong with a steak sub -- I like subs, and I like steak -- that's what I ordered. I was not disappointed when I started eating.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the quality of a grinder/hogie/sub is almost wholly dependent on quality bread. The bread at Rudino's is is very quality, and then some.

Now, thick and doughy Rudino's bread is not. Instead, it is thin enough to be crispy on the outside, with a firm middle that don't become mushy when pressed against meat and condiments; and it is just thick enough to hold a half-pound of meat, vegetables and cheese without falling apart in a feller's hands.

As for my steak sandwich, it began with Rudino's signature crispy bread ... turned out, if you will. The overturned top-half of the bread was served with a big-assed portion of browned Swiss cheese. On the bottom bread, if you will, there was a pile of grilled beef, sautéed onions and green peppers, and fresh mushrooms.

I smashed the sandwich together, after adding a goodly portion of provided hot sauce, and I chowed down. This is my verdict:

The meat, cheese and vegetables I et on my Rudino's sub, er, grinder, last night did not set the world on fire. However, the bread was so very crispy - and the Swiss cheese was so expertly melted - I kept telling myself:

"This is a damn-fine sandwich ... and I can't wait to eat another one."

I can't wait to go back to Rudino's. Not only did I enjoy the grub served therein, I have me some buy-one-get-one-free coupons to make sure I enjoy the place even more.

Wanna go with me when I visit the place again? (I've coupons, you know!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

GRINDER IS A YANKEE TERM. I DO NOT TRUST ANY RESTAURANT THAT USES THAT WORD TO TRY TO SELL FOOD!!!!!

Chris Martin said...

The pizza was great, too. Nice crispy crust. Tasty tomato sauce. And they put plenty of cheese on it.

Anonymous said...

Location? Not familiar with Rudino's...

Joltin' Django said...

Rudino's is on the corner of Bell Road and Blue Hole Road in Antioch. There's a driving range and some batting cages nearby. You can't miss it.