Friday, January 30, 2009

Blown away


I've bragged about the quality of my homemade beef stew many times here at AMGE. What I've never admitted, until now, is that practically every pot o' stew I've cooked has included a "secret" ingredient not of my making: Tony Chachere's Instant Roux.

I made a pot of beef stew last week, and it was damn good, but it didn't have any TC's Instant Roux in it. You see, I discovered something that might just be a better addition to soups and stews than roux mix: Glory Foods (beef-flavored) Seasoned Cooking Base.

I've been a big fan of Glory-brand canned vegetables for a long, long time. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that the folks at Glory make one hell of a soup/stew-starter. Indeed, their beef cooking base infused my pot o' beef stew with a flavor so rich and complex, I probably could've convinced those who broke bread with me that I'd spent most of the day slow-simmering a stock with roasted bones.

It's gonna be cold in Nashville next week. I'm already looking forward to making a pot of vegetable soup with ground beef ... and Glory's cooking base. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: