Thursday, September 13, 2007

Mary B's dumplings are mighty fine


One of my all time favorite meals is chicken and dumplings. And by dumplings I mean strip dumplings cooked in chicken broth, like my Granny Ruby used to make, not Bisquick biscuits cooked in cream of mushroom soup.

I used to make dumplings from scratch (they ain't too hard to make). About two years ago, however, I discovered Mary B's Open Kettle Dumplings in a small grocery store in Camden, Tennessee. I haven't made dumplings from scratch since. Yes, Mary B's dumplings are just as good scratch-made dumplings.

I know for a fact that you can find Mary B's dumplings (and Mary B's frozen biscuits) at Wal-Mart and Food Lion. I'm sure other grocery stores in the Middle Tennessee area have them as well.

Try Mary B's dumplings sometime. You'll be glad you did.

7 comments:

Donna said...

Need to find a store wher they have Mary B's Dumplings. Walmart said they were not going to carry them anymore. I need them really bad. Thanks..Donna I am 47711 in Indiana.

Anonymous said...

Last week, I just bought the last 6 packs of these at Doll's market in Louisville, they are being closed out there as well. :( I love these things. These are exactly the type of dumplings passed from my grandmother. And, yes, as the original poster said they are not hard to make but they are VERY time consuming to make. Mary B's are perfect! I have talked to the Fresh Market, who carries the biscuits; they said they may be able to order a case. i don't know where I'd put a case!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Here is an update, as of 9/14: I was at Walmart on Bardstown Rd, Fern Creek (suburd of Louisville, KY) and they had a bunch of the dumplings in stock. Looks like maybe they decided to carry them again!

Joltin' Django said...

"Hi,
Here is an update, as of 9/14: I was at Walmart on Bardstown Rd, Fern Creek (suburd of Louisville, KY) and they had a bunch of the dumplings in stock. Looks like maybe they decided to carry them again!"

Hey, thanks for the update!

Anonymous said...

I MADE THEM 2NITE AND THEY R BLAND...WHATS THE TRICK?
JULS

Anonymous said...

Use 1 box of chicken broth, 2 cups
water, tblsp garlic to this boil 1
whole chicken cut in pieces.Remove. Add bite sizes cut up celery, carrots & onions cook for 10 minutes in broth. Add little over half Mary B dumplings, stir & cook for about 35min, lid on. Add chicken & serve. Oh so good

Anonymous said...

To make sure they are not bland add lots of salt and pepper when boiling your chicken. After chicken is boiled and removed so you can debone chicken, then taste your stock. Add salt, pepper, and other seasonings to taste.