Thursday, September 27, 2007

Joltin' Django cooks: Cornish hen

As many times as I've fried turkeys for Thanksgiving over the years, I'd never once considered frying a Cornish hen ... until I saw Ms. Lucy frying hens on her Cajun cooking show (RFD-TV -- available in Nashville on DirecTV and Dish Network only).

Tonight, I broke out my Presto deep fryer and cooked up some Cornish hens for me and mine. Here's how I done it ...

Joltin' Django's Cajun Cornish Hens

Ingredients

2 tablespoons Zatarain's Cajun Seasoning
1 tablespoon Zatarain's-brand cayenne pepper
4 (1 1/4 lb) Cornish hens
Vegetable oil

Directions

Combine Cajun seasoning and pepper; rub liberally over inside and outside of hens.

Pour oil until it fills exactly half of a 4-quart deep fryer; heat to 350°F.

Carefully lower hens into hot oil, using tongs.

Fry 15-18 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest part registers 180°.

Remove hens from oil and drain on paper towels.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i will be tryin it tonight. I was wondering if the oil will run over from the presto grand pappy when i fill it with veg oil to the line. I may try it outdoors in case my "cup runneth over",,,thanks.