Sunday, November 15, 2009

Kartoffelsalat!


Years ago, I happened upon canned German potato salad in a local Foodmax supermarket. I tried it several times and really liked it. When Foodmax disappeared from Nashville's grocery store scene, the German potato salad went with it.(Hell, I don't even remember the brand name of that tater salad, and a half-hour of Googling didn't help me none.)

Tonight, I endeavored to make a German potato salad as good at the stuff I used to buy at Foodmax. I kinda copied and pasted some recipes I found online which seemed to have ingredients that would yield a similar taste. Here's what I came up with:

Joltin' Django's Kartoffelsalat (German Potato Salad)

Ingredients

6-8 boiled red potatoes
5 tbsp. oil
5 tbsp. cider vinegar
5 tbsp. water
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 clove garlic, minced
3 strips bacon, fried and crumbled
Salt and pepper

Directions

In a saucepan boil potatoes until they are fork tender. Remove potatoes and allow potatoes to cool, 10-15 minutes. In same sauce pan, mix oil, vinegar, water, sugar, garlic, salt and pepper (to taste). Bring to a boil and then remove pan from heat.

Slice potatoes to desired thickness. Place potatoes in pan with crumbled bacon. Stir to ensure that potatoes are well-coated. Return pan to stove and warm on low heat until ready to serve.

No comments: