Tuesday, November 20, 2007

How a man who's gotta eat makes mac-and-cheese

The "Living" section in yesterday's Tennessean featured a recipe for macaroni and cheese, Martha Stewart-style. I just about choked when I gave it the ol' look-see.

The caption above Martha's mac-and-cheese recipe said "Recipe Of The Day." As far as I'm concerned, it should've said "Recipe That Should Never Again See The Light Of Day." I mean, as much as I like nutmeg, Gruyere cheese, and cubes of white bread, I would never - and I mean never - put such in a dish of homemade mac-and-cheese.

As a service to my readers, I'm posting my recipe for macaroni and cheese. I hate to toot my own horn, but it's a damn-fine recipe (TOOT!). In fact, my father has already put in a Thanksgiving Day request for Joltin' Django's mac-and-cheese.

I'll post a picture of my just-outta-the-oven macaroni and cheese on Friday. Stay tuned.

Joltin' Django's Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients

1 lb elbow macaroni
6-8 cups cold water
1/4 stick butter
12 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed (DO NOT use light or 2 percent)
1 1/2 cups WHOLE milk (see previous post)
4 cups mild cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Bring lightly salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add macaroni, bring water back to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high. Simmer macaroni until very tender (12-15 minutes). Remove pot from stove and drain.

Return macaroni to pot. Add butter, Velveeta cheese, one cup of cheddar cheese, milk and A LOT (at least one heaping tablespoon) of black pepper. Mix until no large lumps of cheese remain.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour macaroni mixture into a deep baking dish. Top with remaining cheddar cheese. Place dish in oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese on top is completely melted and smooth. Place oven on broil and allow cheese to turn golden brown (should take no longer than 2-3 minutes). Remove dish from oven and allow mac-and-cheese to cool for 10 minutes before serving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terrible. Just terrible. Why waste your time on something this bad when the same bland results could have been achieved from opening a store-bought box. I would be ashamed to serve this recipie to anyone.

Joltin' Django said...

It's because of assholes like you that I resisted allowing comments on this blog. I don't give a shit what you think about my macaroni and cheese. You didn't taste it, so you don't have any fuckin' business casting aspersions at it. You know, someone who criticizes a dish he/she didn't eat is only slightly less of a dumbass than a dumbass who criticizes a book he/she has never read.

That said, friends and family often put in a request for my mac-and-cheese whenever a party, holiday get-together, reunion, swap meet, etc. rolls around. I don't think these folks would ask for it if it were bland and tasteless. And what they think is a whole hell of a lot more important to me than what trips off the keyboard of an anonymous shipdit such as yourself.

Divorced Daddy said...

Django, I have been salivating over this recipe for months but I just made it tonight. All I had at home was 2% Velveeta and 2% milk, and I used Colby Cheese. It was still the best mac and cheese i have ever tasted. I can't wait to try it with the real ingredients!