Wednesday, November 07, 2007

водочка!


Ever since my drinkin' career began - which, I'm not proud to say, began when I was 17-years-old - I've never really had a taste for vodka, or any clear liquor for that matter.

I've sipped my fair share of vodka over the years, usually from a good friend's supply of Grey Goose, but I just can't seem acquire a taste for something that looks and smells - to me, anyway - a little too much like rubbing alcohol.

That said, I was enjoying a draft beer in a local tavern a few weeks back when I overheard a feller talking about how much he enjoys Saaga 1763-brand vodka. He said, and I quote, "[Saaga] does not burn your tongue like other vodkas." He added, and this ain't a direct quote, "[Saaga] has a refined, spicy[!] taste that you often find in a premium Scotch."

I found the following pro-Saaga blog entry, which seem to confirm the sentiments of my two-barstools-down ami. If you like vodka, you'll find this interesting I'm sure:

"Saaga 1763 Vodka is 40% abv. / 80 proof and created by Master Distiller Arno Narro who recreates the original style of vodka distilled in ancient Estonian manors for hundreds of years. The vodka is made from 90% heirloom Estonian Rye and 10% Tristo summer wheat, which are harvested at the optimum time, carefully sorted , and dried with care. Rye is the Estonian national grain and they have been cultivating it since the 1100's. The rye used in Saaga, actually a blend of two rye's- Tulvi and Vambo, are both not just heirloom rye's, but ancient ones that can be tracked back to when rye first started being cultivated in Estonia, after it had made its way from Asia Minor. These aren't your vapid modern rye's like Matador or Picasso, but flavor packed, spicy, and earthy. ...

"The aroma is exceptionally clean, one of the cleanest smelling vodkas I have yet encountered, with a hint of spice and the essence of rye grains to it. As it opened up after a few minutes in my glass there followed the barest trace of sweet fruit and floral notes. Is is very pleasant on the nose and I enjoyed taking many deep breathes, feeling that it was cleansing me. I know it relaxed me, whether from some aroma-therapeutic ability, or from the alcohol fumes, I know not. I just enjoyed it.

"The taste is clean as well, with a different character than most vodka. Sharp on the tongue and tingling to the lips with a silky, smooth feel to it. It has some interesting spicy notes that immediately made me want to take another sip. Drunk straight out of a snifter at room temperature it was excellent. Chilled shots sipped with dinner were even more so. But on the rocks with a splash of water it was really enjoyable as a floral sweetness joined the clean spiciness. If you like very clean and crisp, premium vodka, then I highly recommend Saaga 1763."

No comments: